The Common Household Foods That Can Really Harm Your Pet

The Common Household Foods That Can Really Harm Your Pet - The Common Household Foods That Can Really Harm Your Pet

We all love feeding our pet dainties, but some snacks don’t agree with dogs, sometimes to a fatal degree. Here’s the basic list every owner needs to be aware of, as these are foods that can really harm your pet, but it’s by no means complete. Please research any new ingredient you plan on giving your pooch.

1. Chocolate and caffeine

Any form of chocolate is a no-no, even cocoa powder. The world may be addicted to this sweet treat but chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant that affects a dog’s central nervous system and heart, among other organs. Theobromine causes vomiting, diarrhea, racing heart, hyperactivity, and seizures. If a pet ingests too much, it could be fatal. Chocolate contains another stimulant highly lethal to canines; caffeine. Any caffeinated product, like tea and coffee, should not be offered to dogs. The symptoms of caffeine poisoning are similar to that of theobromine. 

2. Vegetables and herbs

The onion, a mainstay of the respectable cook’s kitchen, is among the deadliest foods for dogs. Dry, raw, cooked, powdered, it doesn’t matter. The disulfides and sulfoxides in onions damage red blood cells and cause anemia. This vegetable must be avoided like the plague. It’s not always easy. Certain commercial human food contain powdered onions. It’s best to stick to dog products. Garlic and chives are similarly damaging and should also be removed from your pup’s diet.

Additionally, corn on the cob could cause intestinal blockage. Spicy peppers, rhubarb, and tomato leaves sometimes trigger a severe illness as well. 

3. Smoker stuff and alcohol

Nicotine is another dangerous compound. Dogs that eat cigarettes, pilfer tobacco from bags, or inhale smoke can all suffer from nicotine poisoning. They might throw up, shake or turn weak. Marijuana is something that pets are being increasingly exposed to these days. The negative effects prove that this so-called “harmless” drug is anything but for canines. They lose control over their bladders, become hyperactive or react too slowly. Some have slipped into a coma and died. Alcohol exhibits the same symptoms as nicotine and marijuana. Any beverage, even hops, should be avoided.

4. Dairy 

Milk and yellow cheeses can upset their tummy. Blue cheeses must never be offered as a snack. They contain roquefortine C, which triggers seizures, twitching, fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. A dog that ate something like Roquefort or Stilton must see a vet immediately. 

5. Fruit

Grapes and raisins should be on your “never” list. Researchers still don’t know what makes them so toxic but sensitive dogs can suffer kidney failure from a single raisin or die from a few grapes. Early symptoms include throwing up, depression and a lack of energy.

Things like apple seeds, persimmon, plum and peach pits all contain toxic chemicals including cyanide. An avocado’s pit is also extremely poisonous but the flesh of the fruit itself can cause heart problems in dogs.

6. Certain animal products

It’s not advisable to feed your dog cat food since kitty chow is designed to cater to the feline digestive system. Indeed, the fat and protein is too much for dogs and can trigger pancreatitis and obesity. Fat trimmings also cause pancreatitis. Bones pose a risk. A piece of bone can choke a dog, block intestines, cause internal damage or break a pet’s teeth. Cooked bones should be thrown away as they splinter too easily. Liver can be fed in small quantities and to stay safe, fish and meat shouldn’t be given raw. Cooked meat ensures that parasites and bacteria cannot infect your dog.

7. Salt, sugar, and sweeteners

Salt, sugar, and sweeteners are often hidden between the ingredients. For this reason, it’s prudent to read the ingredient list on products. Salt causes sodium ion poisoning. The worst-case scenario involves seizures and death. Sugar brings dental disease, obesity, and diabetes. Whenever you spot xylitol, see that as a sure sign to avoid a certain product. This sweetener has a devastating effect on animals and is used in many foods. A tiny amount can cause fatal low blood sugar, seizures, acute liver problems, and blood-clotting disorders. 

8. Macadamia nuts

This is another food capable of harming your pet, even in small amounts. Fever, vomiting, tremors, weakness of the hind legs and depression are signs that you must call a vet. Rush the dog over to the doctor immediately if the nuts came with chocolate.

9. Vitamins and supplements

Human supplements can trigger an overdose in dogs. Some of the most poisonous are prenatal products and when your pooch accidentally hoovered through your stash, consider it an emergency situation and see your vet immediately.

Once again, the list is not complete. Other things, like moldy foods and yeast dough, also come with their own dangers. As an owner, it’s a good idea to keep a page on the fridge door with ingredients that your pets cannot eat. As you identify more offenders just add them to your list to ensure your pet’s safety.

Found this article Informative?

Join other pet parents and never miss articles just like this!

(we paw promise never to spam)

Shop our custom-designed Clothing & Apparel!

Category: Pet Food
Tags: , ,
Menu