The Golden Retriever is one of the friendliest dog breeds. They make good house pets but they are not reliable house guards because they tend to make friends with everyone, including strangers!
- They originated from Scotland during the 19th century. Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, a hunting enthusiast and dog lover, crossbred a regular Retriever with the now extinct Tweed Water Spaniel. This resulted to the very first Golden Retriever.
- Golden Retrievers have a long life span. Their life span is about 11 to 12 years, longer than the life expectancy of other dog breeds. Records show that they used to live up to 16 years of age, but their average lifespan has been dropping since the 1970s.
- Goldies are susceptible to cancer. Medical studies show that 61% of Golden Retrievers will develop cancer during their lifetime. Inbreeding and genetic factors are said to be the cause.
- They ranked 3rd on America’s favorite dog breeds. According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), Golden Retrievers placed 3rd on the most popular dog breed in 2018, after German Shepherds (2nd), and Labrador Retrievers (1st).
- Two American presidents owned Goldies during their term. President Gerald Ford’s pet was named Liberty, while President Ronald Reagan’s pet was named Victory.
- There are three types of Golden Retrievers. They are classified according to their shades of gold: Golden, Light Golden, and Dark Golden.
- They are prone to separation anxiety. One of the biggest challenges in owning a Golden Retriever is their clinginess and their tendency to get easily depressed. Their separation anxiety is triggered by sudden routine changes such as extended work schedules or moving to a different house.
- Golden Retrievers know how to care for other animals, even cats. Goldies are unlike other dog breeds who are hostile towards cats and other rival pets. They can show affection and treat other animals as their own siblings.
- They hold the world’s record for the loudest bark. A Golden Retriever named Charlie is the record holder for the world’s largest bark. His bark produced 113 decibels and can be compared to the loudness of rock music.
- Golden Retrievers have the softest bites. Their mouths are said to be so soft that they could carry fragile things such as eggs without breaking them.
Truly, Golden Retrievers can easily make anyone fall in love with them. They are extremely popular because of their charm and can often be seen on the big screen. They are the perfect breed for first-time dog owners because they are very sociable and easily trained. Once you own a Goldie, they will capture your hearts and they will immediately become your favorite.
Originally posted 2019-06-05 17:19:45.