During an interview with Seth Meyers actor Timothy Olyphant revealed that his dog ate some marijuana edibles that were lying around.
Olyphant said of the accident:
“The legal drugs are coming, and they’re gonna give you these little things that look like gummy bears. They look little kid treats.”
The actor laughed it off and said the dog is fine, but marijuana ingestion has been rising recently in part because of its legalization in many states.
With marijuana possession now being allowed in some areas, people don’t see the need to keep their stash locked somewhere, leaving the stuff lying around instead.
But while Timothy Olyphant’s pal seemingly got away fine with it, vets warn that marijuana is not safe for pets and can cause adverse effects.
A month ago the press reported on the case of a California resident whose dog consumed marijuana and got sick, shaking, and hiding in a closet.
The owner says neither she nor her family uses marijuana so it’s likely her pooch ate a cigarette bud from the ground while on a walk.
Vets warn that while in some cases marijuana might only cause a mild disturbance and manageable side effects for pets, it can also cause heart problems, seizures, and comma.