Almost every pet owner is aware that anti-freeze, pest sprays, rat poison and the likes should be kept where no pet can get to them. And many of us have heard about plants that are poisonous to our pets such as mistletoe, lilies, and poinsettias.
But have you ever considered the following potential dangers to your pet?
1. Electrical cords; Pets chewing on electrical cords can receive a potentially fatal shock. This is especially prevalent around the holidays when extension cords are often used.
2. Ingesting harmful foods; Chocolate can be fatal to pets.
3. Worn out toys; Toys that are worn or poorly chewed can begin to fall apart, and small pieces of them can be swallowed.
4. Garbage; Pets that get into the trash-can may eat bones, coffee grounds, spoiled food, cigarette butts, etc.
5. Chemicals; Pets may ingest cleanser, soap, bleach, moth balls, paint, pool chemicals, fertilizers, etc.
6. Medications; Many drugs intended for humans can be fatal to pets, as can nicotine gum.
7. Open clothes dryer doors; the dryer is a wonderfully warm spot for a cat to take a nap…make sure they can’t get inside.
Other things may not be as obvious as those listed above. I once had a kitten that, unknown to me, swallowed a needle and thread. My first indication was a lump I noticed on his throat. When I got him to the vet, x-rays were taken and the item removed. The kitten and I were both traumatized!
When you are using potentially dangerous tools like power saws, drills, etc., make sure your pet is confined to an area away from your workplace. Is your ceiling fan running when your bird is flying free in the house?
Pets usually investigate things with their mouths, and there are many dangers in the average home.
Take a look around your house and see just how safe it is for your furr kids. A quick check may save your pet from injury or death, and you from expensive vet bills! We produce wastes at home, and there is nothing that we can do about it, except to work in the direction of decreasing it. If we want to live healthy lives, however, we have to accept the truth that we are bound to provide waste even if it is in small amounts.
One issue that you might often forget to realize is, we produce hazardous waste in our homes!
Household cleansing materials are typically the most toxic substances inside the house. We won’t understand the chemical composition, but exposure to it may be risky. Insecticides and different chemical substances are also hazardous materials at home.
It is not merely the materials that can be dangerous to human beings that we must be in search of. There are also elements that could affect the surroundings if they are not adequately disposed of.
Reduction– The government recommends a hierarchy of steps with regards to coping with those hazardous substances. The first choice being given is to reduce the variety of those materials being used. By doing so, there might be much less waste to dispose of.
Reusing and Recycling– Materials can also be reused or recycled, so that they do not need to be disposed of. You need to be cautious with this step and make sure that it is nevertheless secure to use.
Never Mix– Whenever you have got unwanted substances, you must preserve them independently from each other and in no way mix them. Materials would possibly react with each other and that can be dangerous! They might create toxic fumes.
Instructions– Keep in thoughts which you need to continually comply with, the instructions on the product are there to save your life. Never deviate from the commands given on the way to use it, or you might come to be with some problems.
Using the Drainage– Never pour your hazardous substances down the drain or leave in regions in which kids or pets may get to reach them. Those substances can cause damage and must be handled delicately.
These are just some important matters you should consider when it comes to the one of a kind dangerous substances that we’re generating at home. You have to hold these items in thoughts so you can all live safe. Remember that, while those materials are found at home, they’re additionally very dangerous and harmful to people and animals too.