5 Mistakes Pet Parents Should NEVER Make

Mistakes Pet Parents Should NEVER Make

With the leaves changing colors and the crisp air starting to set in, it’s finally time to say goodbye to summer and hello to fall. With the new season, we tend to spend a little bit more time indoors, thanks to the cooler temps, raking the leaves, sipping on our pumpkin lattes and hitting up those state fairs.

Just as we all start to get a little fall fever, dog owners should be warned that with the new season also comes a few hidden dangers lurking about that could make your furry friend sick or even worse.

Here are some issues that should be noted during this new season

1. UNTREATED ALLERGIES

Just like humans, dogs can get seasonal allergies too. A few signs of an allergy in a dog can be sneezing, wheezing, watery eyes, runny noses, itching, scratching and even biting to the point where it creates bald spots. What may seem like a simple reaction to “something” can lead to a larger problem if left untreated. Remember, when it comes to our loved ones, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

2. EXPOSURE TO ANTIFREEZE

The cooler temperatures also mean prepping your vehicle for winter and that includes adding antifreeze to the engine. Even though adding antifreeze to the car doesn’t sound like anything that could affect our beloved pets, it is one of the most dangerous substances if your dog were to ingest it. Make sure all spills and drips are immediately cleaned up when adding antifreeze to your car, if a dog were to even lick the smallest amount it could lead to kidney failure and even death. There is a pet-friendly antifreeze which is made with propylene glycol which is available anywhere auto parts are stored.

3. FEEDING THEM BONES

Dating back to the early cartoons and movies, society has always told us that dogs love bones. Well, forget what we were told as little kids, bones are probably the worst things you could give a dog. Every single time you feed a dog a bone, you are taking a chance that the little treat could break up into tiny bone shards and become lodged somewhere inside the dog which can be life-threatening.

4. EXCESSIVELY EXPOSING THEM TO COLD WEATHER

Even though many of us are ready to say goodbye to the 90-degree-plus temps, it doesn’t mean our dogs are prepared for the colder environment. Sure our pups are starting to grow out their winter coats, maybe even eating a little bit more to get a jump on that winter weight, but not acclimating them to the fall weather could really be a shock to their system. Although we are not there yet, it’s always a good rule of thumb for dog owners to remember that if the water is freezing, pets should not be left outside.

5. LEAVING THEM UNATTENDED AROUND COMPOST PILES

One of the most dangerous, yet unassuming things in your yard that can be detrimental to your dog is the compost pile. All that decomposing material could very well contain toxins, also known as molds, that can cause hyperthermia, agitation, excessive panting or drooling, and even seizures in dogs. It is imperative that dogs are never left unattended around compost heaps, for an added protection plate a fence or concrete wall around outdoor compost heaps.

Goodluck!

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply